قلعة كاين

قلعة كاين

Château de Caen هو نورمان تم بناؤه حوالي عام 1060 بواسطة William the Conqueror. ثم بنى ابنه هنري الأول كنيسة القديس جورج وحظيرة وقاعة كبيرة لمحكمة الدوقية.

استعاد التاج الفرنسي قلعة كاين ، جنبًا إلى جنب مع نورماندي بأسره ، عام 1204. عزز فيليب الثاني التحصينات. شهدت القلعة العديد من الاشتباكات خلال حرب المائة عام. تم هدم المبنى في عام 1793 أثناء الثورة الفرنسية ، بأمر من المؤتمر الوطني.

تم قصف القلعة ، التي كانت تستخدم كثكنة خلال الحرب العالمية الثانية ، في عام 1944 وألحقت أضرارًا جسيمة.

اليوم ، تعمل القلعة كمتحف يضم متحف الفنون الجميلة في كاين ، ومتحف نورماندي وخزانة نورماندي.


قلعة كاين - التاريخ

في حوالي عام 1025 ، في عهد دوق نورماندي ريتشارد الثاني ، كانت مدينة كاين تنمو على نهر أولن على كلا الجانبين ، بكنائسها ، وكروم العنب ، ومروجها ، وطواحينها ، والسوق ، وأصحاب الأكشاك ، والضرائب. والميناء وجميع مرافقه & quot. في ذلك الوقت لم تكن أكثر من مدينة ثانوية ذات نشاط تجاري حيث تم تنشيط الأعمال من خلال وجود الميناء. هذا الأصل ، جنبًا إلى جنب مع وجود حفز صخري مناسب لبناء قلعة لم يمر دون أن يلاحظه أحد من قبل الدوق ويليام. في حوالي عام 1060 ، بعد أكثر من عقد بقليل من انتصاره الحاسم على باروناته المتمردين في معركة فال-إس-ديونز ، أقام الأمير في هذه المدينة مع مستقبل.

تم بناء قلعة William & rsquos على الصخر الصخري المطل على البلدة الدوقية ، وكانت رائعة الحجم ، حيث تم حظر أكثر من خمسة هكتارات على الجانب الشمالي بواسطة خندق دفاعي عميق. سكن الأمير ورسكووس ، الذي تصفه النصوص والخطط القديمة الآن باسم Vieux-Palais ، القصر القديم ، كان محميًا خلف أسوار عالية مع أبرشية القديس جورج ومنازلها العديدة القريبة.

في نفس الوقت الذي تم فيه بناء القلعة ، أنشأ ويليام وزوجته ماتيلدا ديرين في كاين ، دير آبي أو هومز (دير الرجال ورسكووس) ، ودير آباي أوكس دامز (ليديز آند رسقوو آبي). أيضا خلال تلك الفترة تم بناء سياج حول المنطقة الدوقية. خلال النصف الثاني من القرن الحادي عشر ، أصبحت المدينة موقعًا ضخمًا للبناء ، مما شجع على تدفق السكان الجدد ، الذين سيساعدون في جعل كاين مدينة رئيسية ، ودوقية نورماندي ورسكووس ثاني أكبر دوقية بعد روان.

دوقات نورمان وقصر رسقو

في وقت بناء القلعة حوالي عام 1060 ، أقام وليام نورماندي قصره داخل العلبة. يأتي معظم ما نعرفه عن مجمع القصر هذا من الحفريات الأثرية التي أجراها عالم الآثار ميشيل دي بو وأوملارد في سنوات ما بعد الحرب العالمية الثانية. تم التعرف على ثلاث وظائف للقصر من الرفات المكتشفة. وفقًا لعالم الآثار ، يوجد مبنى مستطيل واحد 16 مترًا × 8 (aula) بأرضية من الطين يوحي بمستوى المطبخ والمباني الملحقة ، وعادةً ما توجد ldquoas في الطابق الأرضي للأمير و rsquos aula في القرنين الحادي عشر والثاني عشر. & rdquo شقق دوق ورسكووس (كاميرا ) في الطابق العلوي كما هو مقترح من بقايا درج تم بناؤه مؤخرًا في أحد أركان المبنى. كما تم اكتشاف بقايا الكنيسة الحنكية (كابيلا) على بعد ياردات قليلة من المبنى الأول ، على الرغم من أن هذه الكنيسة لا تزال موجودة جزئيًا في المباني الحديثة التي دمرت خلال غارات القصف عام 1944. لا يمكننا تحديد كيف أو حتى قصر ويليام ورسكووس تم عزله أو عدم عزله عن بقية السياج ، حيث لم يتم اكتشاف أي عنصر مغلق أثناء الحفريات. في هذه الوحدة الفخمة المنسوبة إلى William of Normandy ، تمت إضافة قاعة جديدة بناها ابنه Henry I Beauclerc في حوالي عام 1120 ، والمعروفة الآن باسم Salle de l & rsquo & Eacutechiquier (قاعة الخزائن). هذه القاعة الرائعة حجمها أكثر إثارة للإعجاب (32 مترًا في 13) ، وهي العمارة الرومانية الوحيدة الباقية على قيد الحياة في نورماندي.

تحولت بشكل جذري على مر القرون والحروب ، ومن الصعب القول أن قاعة الخزانة لم يكن بها أكثر من طابق واحد. بسبب عدم وجود أدلة بصرف النظر عن الدليل الغريب ، لإثبات وجود أرضية وسيطة في القرن الثاني عشر ، فإن أعمال الترميم الرئيسية في

اختارت الستينيات إعادة القاعة إلى حالة معروفة في كتابات القرن الرابع عشر.

الحفريات الحالية للمبنى الذي يعود تاريخه إلى القرن الثاني عشر مع الهندسة المعمارية المماثلة لتلك الموجودة في قاعة الخزانة ستجلب مجموعة من المعلومات التي ستكمل وربما تشكك إلى حد ما في تشغيل وحدة القصر وتفسيرها.

رعية القلعة والفناء

في حين أن Caen Castle & rsquos تعمل كمحكمة عليا تم تأسيسها بوضوح إلى حد ما مع تحديد وحدة القصر في القرنين الحادي عشر والثاني عشر ، ليس من السهل تحديد المزرعة داخل حاوية القلعة. بينما كان من الواضح أن هناك عددًا من الخدمات التي لا يمكن أن تستمر عملية القصر بدونها ، إلا أنه من الصعب وضعها داخل القلعة. هنا مرة أخرى ، ينقذ علم الآثار عندما يكون للكتابات القليل لتقوله قبل القرن الرابع عشر. تم التنقيب عن مجموعة من المطابخ المرتبطة بالحفرة في الستينيات ، ولكن لا يوجد ما يشير إلى وجود الطاحونة على الرغم من ذكرها في الكتابات على أنها تقع في نفس المنطقة. تم أيضًا إلقاء الضوء على عدد من القواعد التي كانت تنتمي إلى منازل صغيرة معاصرة للقرن الحادي عشر الأول ، القلعة في الموقع ، بشكل رئيسي بالقرب من برج البوابة ، المدخل الرئيسي للموقع في زمن الدوقات.

الدليل الأكثر إقناعًا لوجود مزرعة في قلعة كاين هو كنيسة أبرشية القديس جورج. في حين أنه من الصعب إثبات أن الرعية سبقت القلعة ، نظرًا لأن الحفريات لم تكشف عن أي بقايا قبل عام 1100 ، فقد صاحب المبنى الألفية القريبة من وجود الحصن ورسكووس. يتم تمثيل كل طراز معماري في الكنيسة ، من العمارة النورماندية الرومانية حتى النوافذ ذات الزجاج الملون في القرن العشرين. من خلال موقعها المركزي في العلبة والجاذبية الطبيعية لمثل هذا المبنى ، سيتم تكليف كنيسة St George & rsquos بمهمة جديدة. في عام 2013 ، سيصبح مركز الاستقبال والترجمة الفورية كاين كاين ، نقطة البداية للزيارة وبابًا مفتوحًا لمواقع شريكة أخرى فرنسية وإنجليزية لمشروع European & quotNorman Connections & rdquo ، حيث يتم تنفيذ العمل كجزء من هذا المشروع.

حصن في المدينة

لم يُعرف أي شيء عن أول حصن للقلعة تم تشييده في حوالي عام 1060. يرجع تاريخ أقدم أجزاء الأسوار الواقعة شمال الموقع إلى أوائل القرن الثاني عشر. تم بناء هذا السور المصنوع من الحجر ، والذي كان يتواجد بكثرة في الموقع ، على جسر من الأنقاض مأخوذ من حفر الخنادق الشمالية والشرقية. هل كان هذا الجسر يستخدم لإنشاء حاجز خشبي مبكر؟ لا أحد يعلم ، لأن علم الآثار لم يكتشف شيئًا للمساعدة في تفسير هذا السؤال.

في القرن الحادي عشر ، كان هناك بوابتان للقلعة. الأول في الشمال كان أيضًا المدخل الرئيسي للموقع. تم الدفاع عنه ببرج بوابة مهيب. إلى الجنوب ، كان الاتصال الوحيد بالمدينة من خلال Postern.

كان السور ، الذي تم تزويده بجاذبية خشبية عند بنائه لأول مرة ، مليئًا بالعديد من الأبراج عند إجراء محاولات لتعزيز صفاته الدفاعية.

بقيت القلعة و rsquos هي الأصول الرئيسية ، التي بناها هنري الأول في حوالي عام 1120. نحن لا نعرف الكثير عنها ، لكنها كانت قابلة للمقارنة من نواح كثيرة مع قلعة فاليز المعاصرة. هنا مرة أخرى ، كان علم الآثار مفيدًا للغاية لأنه أدى إلى إعادة اكتشاف المخطط الأرضي للحصن (24 م × 27 م) وخطة الستارة بأبراجها الأربعة التي تم وضعها في القرن الثالث عشر لعزل احفظه من بقية العلبة. خلال الثورة الفرنسية ، أصدر المؤتمر الوطني مرسومًا بتدمير المحمية (1793). لم يكتمل هذا العمل إلا في القرن التاسع عشر من قبل الجيش في ثكنة Lef & egravebvre ، الذين دفنوا البقايا الأخيرة من أجل وضع ساحة استعراض.

خلال تاريخها الطويل ، وبلا شك بسبب صفاتها الدفاعية ، لم تتعرض قلعة كاين للعاصفة أبدًا.


قلعة كاين - التاريخ

سيراجع محررونا ما قدمته ويحددون ما إذا كان ينبغي مراجعة المقالة أم لا.

كاين، مدينة، عاصمة كالفادوس مديرية ، نورماندي منطقة، شمال غرب فرنسا ، على نهر أورني ، 9 أميال (14 كم) من القناة الإنجليزية ، جنوب غرب لوهافر.

أصبحت لأول مرة مهمة في عهد الدوقات النورمانديين في القرنين العاشر والحادي عشر وكانت عاصمة نورماندي السفلى في زمن ويليام الفاتح. استولى عليها الإنجليز مرتين - عام 1346 وعام 1417 - احتفظوا بها حتى عام 1450. أدى إلغاء مرسوم نانت (1685) إلى كسر ازدهار المدينة التي أصبحت بروتستانتية. خلال الثورة الفرنسية ، كانت مركزًا لحركة الجيرونديين. بعد غزو الحلفاء نورماندي في عام 1944 ، استخدم الألمان كاين كمحور لمقاومتهم للتقدم البريطاني الكندي ، ودمرت المدينة ثلثيها. أعيد بناؤها ، مع المناطق الصناعية المخطط لها بين أورني وقناة الميناء. يواجه سهل أخضر ، Prairie Saint-Gilles ، الجانب الجنوبي الغربي من المدينة ، وزُرعت الحدائق العامة في وسط المدينة. الجامعة ، التي أسسها هنري السادس ملك إنجلترا عام 1432 ، أعيد افتتاحها عام 1957. نصب كاين التذكاري (افتتح عام 1988) هو متحف مخصص للحرب والسلام.

نجت كنائس سانت إتيان (Abbaye-aux-Hommes) La Trinité (Abbaye-aux-Dames) من أضرار الحرب التي يعود تاريخها إلى ستينيات القرن العاشر وهي عينات رائعة من نورمان رومانيسك. يقع قبر ويليام الفاتح أمام مذبح سانت إتيان المرتفع ، وقبر زوجته ماتيلدا يقف في جوقة لا ترينيتي. تم إلقاء رفات ويليام خلال الثورة. تتميز سانت إتيان بواجهة متقنة عارية من الزخرفة. برجيه ، اللذان يرتفعان إلى 295 قدمًا (90 مترًا) ، تعلوهما أبراج من القرن الثالث عشر. مباني الدير ، التي أعيد بناؤها في القرن السابع عشر ، تضم الآن مكاتب بلدية. أثقلت أعمال الترميم اللاحقة (خاصة في القرن التاسع عشر) صلابة La Trinité النورماندية. يخدم صحن الكنيسة ككنيسة الرعية ، وجوقة الكنيسة والجوقة كجزء من مستشفى المدينة (فندق ديو). في منتصف الطريق بين هاتين الكنيستين توجد كنيسة Saint-Pierre المزينة للغاية ، وقد تم ترميم جمالها القوطي وعصر النهضة الفرنسي بعد أضرار الحرب. يقع فندق Le Valois d’Escoville في Place Saint-Pierre ، وهو قصر مرمم من عصر النهضة (1538). يقع المنزل الذي ولد فيه الشاعر فرانسوا دي مالهيربي (1555) في شارع سان بيير.

تعود أهمية كاين كميناء إلى القرن التاسع عشر في بناء قناة السفن (بطول 9 أميال [14 كم]) ، والتي توازي النهر وتفتح على القناة الإنجليزية في أوسترهام. وهي تعمل بشكل كبير على استيراد فحم الكوك وتصدير الفولاذ. تتغذى صناعة الصلب في المدينة من مناجم خام الحديد في وادي أورني. أعيد بناء أفران الانفجار في موندفيل ، ويسكن السكان العاملون في مدينة هيروفيل الجديدة. نما الجانب الصناعي للمدينة بشكل كبير مع الموقع هناك من السيارات والأجهزة الكهربائية ومصانع الإلكترونيات. يقع Caen في وسط منطقة زراعة الحبوب الخصبة ، على مرمى البصر من نبات نورماندي الأخضر ، وهو مركز خدمة رئيسي لجميع مناطق نورماندي الغربية. فرقعة. (1999) 113،987 (تقديرات 2014) 106،538.


قلعة أخرى WROXHAM & # 8217S؟

كتب "تاريخ ميدان القاهرة" هذا في عام 1997 من قبل بيتر ريف ، مدير مدرسة مونتيسوري السابقة ، التي كانت مجاورة للمرج. يؤكد السيد ريف أن الأمر سيستغرق حفرًا أثريًا لاكتشاف التفاصيل الكاملة لماضي روكسهام. مرة أخرى أود أن أشكر Barry Gorbould ، جامع كل الأشياء المتعلقة بالقرية ، على هذه المساهمة المثيرة للاهتمام.

هناك أكثر من حساب واحد لأصل الاسم Caen Meadow ولكن جميعها تشير إلى علاقة مع Caen في نورماندي بعد غزو نورمان. نحن نعلم بالتأكيد أن شرفة كنيسة القديسة ماري تعود إلى تلك الفترة وأن الحجر الرملي المستخدم يشبه ذلك الموجود في كاتدرائية نورويتش ، والذي تم استيراده من كاين. [انظر الملاحظة ذات العلامات النجمية الأربعة تحت My Wroxham Boyhood.] تم الاستشهاد أيضًا في التاريخ المحلي لهورستيد وستانينغهول بأن المنطقة بأكملها ، والتي تضمنت Wroxham ، خضعت لمجال Abbess of Caen حتى حل الأديرة.

ربما يأتي الحساب الأكثر إقناعًا من عائلة لا تزال مقيمة في القرية والتي تؤكد أنه في أعلى التل كان يوجد دير كاين مرة واحدة وأنه في الصيف الجاف يمكن تمييز الخطوط العريضة لجدران المبنى في العشب *. في وقت لاحق ، تم بناء حظيرة عشور في الموقع حيث يقف Caenyard House اليوم. في الواقع ، عندما تم بناء هذا العقار في عام 1972 ، تم إزالة الكثير من مواد الأساس بينما تم اكتشاف بئر عميق نحو Holly Cottage ، وقد تم تغطيته الآن. قبل أن تتحرك الجرافات ، كان من الممكن ملاحظة أن الأرض الواقعة على يمين التل كانت متدرجة ، مع وجود خندق يتدفق نحو النهر.

في الجزء السفلي من التل ، إلى اليمين ، لا يزال هناك حوض يُقال إنه مخصص للتفريغ حيث كانت هناك أعمدة في الذاكرة الحية على امتداد هذا النهر. كان البنك المقابل ، حيث نشأت ألدر ، في يوم من الأيام كاين ميدولاند وكان هناك مسار عام حتى كولتشال. يشير ترتيب أشجار البلوط في Caen Meadow إلى أن هذا المنظر النبيل نحو النهر قد تم الحفاظ عليه منذ زمن الدير. من الواضح أنه موقع رئيسي وهذا يطرح السؤال: ماذا كان هناك من قبل؟ من الممكن أن تخاطر بتخمين.

ننتقل الآن إلى روايات عن وجود نقطة عبور رومانية في المكان الذي أصبح الآن المكان العام. كان من الممكن أن تكون هذه أول فورد عبر النهر من منبعه. كانت الأرض أكثر ثباتًا هنا وكان النهر ضيقًا لدرجة أن عامل نقل قديم أكد أنه كان من الممكن في يوم من الأيام وضع كمية 18 قدمًا من بنك إلى آخر.

نحن نعلم أن الرومان كانوا في Wroxham. تم العثور على عملة رومانية على المسار المؤدي إلى staithe وأخرى في عام 1977 في حديقة Holly Cottage.

كانت هناك نقطة عبور رومانية ثانية فوق نهر بور عند هورستيد ، حيث كان هناك معسكر روماني وحصن يحرس هذا المعبر. ومع ذلك ، يمكن الافتراض أن نقطة العبور في Wroxham كانت أكثر أهمية ، كونها أول فورد ، وكان يمكن الدفاع عنها بشكل بارز من الأرض المرتفعة التي تطل عليها. إذا كان هناك حصن في هورستيد ، فهذا يدل على كونها حصنًا في Wroxham. في الواقع ، بمجرد أن بدأت القوارب الطويلة الدنماركية في صعود أنهار نورفولك ، كان الدفاع عن النقاط الإستراتيجية أمرًا ضروريًا. يمكن الإشارة هنا إلى أن نهر بوري دخل البحر إلى الشمال من حيث يوجد غريت يارموث اليوم ولم ينضم إلى مصب ياري.

ثم لدينا لغز أصل اسم منزل القلعة القديم. هل تم تسمية شارع Castle Street على اسم المنزل العام أم أنه تم تسمية الحانة على اسم ما كان يحتمل أن يكون يقف على الطرف الآخر من الطريق؟ من السجلات القديمة ، نعلم أن Castle Street استمر في الماضي حيث تم بناء المدرسة الفيكتورية حتى Holly Cottage ، في تلك المرحلة تضيق وتسمى Church Land. الخلاف هو أن اسم Castle Street مشتق من الطريق المؤدي إلى الحصن أو القلعة في الجزء العلوي من Caen Meadow وحيث تم بناء الدير لاحقًا.

* لا ينبغي الخلط بين هذا وبين رواية أخرى للدير بالقرب من قاعة Wroxham القديمة ، أعلى النهر.


القلعة التي ساعدت في إغراق سفينة حربية

قلعة أرشديل، وهي منطقة صغيرة منسية على ضفاف البحيرة في أيرلندا الشمالية ، وقد لعبت دورًا أساسيًا في أحد أهم انتصارات الحلفاء البحرية في الحرب العالمية الثانية. يقع Archdale على شواطئ Lower Lough Erne بالقرب من Enniskillen ، وكان بمثابة قاعدة رئيسية للقوارب الطائرة Allied PBY Catalina و Short Sunderland في معظم فترات الصراع. تقع هذه البؤرة الاستيطانية النائية في أقصى الطرف الغربي لأيرلندا الشمالية ، وتوفر ملجأً مثاليًا للمياه الهادئة لطائرات الحلفاء بعيدة المدى التي تغامر بعمق في المحيط الأطلسي العاصف بحثًا عن غواصات يو ألمانية.

سمحت صفقة سرية بين لندن ودبلن للقوارب الطائرة البريطانية ، والأمريكية لاحقًا ، بالمرور مباشرة فوق المجال الجوي المحايد لجمهورية أيرلندا في طريقها إلى مناطق الصيد في المحيط. في 26 مايو 1941 ، رصدت سفينة PBY من سرب 209 تحلق من أرشديل السفينة الحربية الألمانية المراوغة بسمارك. بمجرد تحديدها ، سفن البحرية الملكية وطائرات طوربيد من الحاملة HMS ارك رويال تقاربت على السفينة الحربية القوية والقضاء عليها. تمثل الخسارة ضربة قاضية لـ كريغسمارين.


معركة كاين ، 6 يونيو - 6 أغسطس 1944

كانت معركة كاين (6 يونيو - 6 أغسطس 1944) واحدة من المعارك الرئيسية خلال عملية أوفرلورد ، وعلى الرغم من أن البريطانيين والكنديين حققوا أهدافهم الرئيسية ، إلا أن الفشل في الاستيلاء على كاين سرعان ما تسبب في الكثير من الجدل.

كانت خطة مونتغمري ورسكووس لمعركة نورماندي دائمًا هي إجبار الألمان على الالتزام بأقوى قواتهم في الشرق ، في ما يبدو أنه نقطة منطقية لاختراق الحلفاء نحو باريس والحدود الألمانية ، مما يسمح للأمريكيين بالاختراق أكثر. إلى الغرب واجتياح بريتاني وخلف الجيوش الألمانية التي تقاتل في نورماندي. ومع ذلك ، كان التوقع أن تقع كاين في يوم النصر أو بعد ذلك بوقت قصير ، مما يمنح الحلفاء السيطرة على المناطق المسطحة حول المدينة ، والتي كانت مناسبة لبناء المطارات.

تسبب جغرافية كاين بعض الالتباس مع الاتجاهات. يتدفق نهر أورني بشكل عام من الجنوب إلى الشمال ، ويمر عبر كاين ثم إلى البحر. ينقسم كاين بواسطة النهر ، مع البلدة القديمة على الضفة اليسرى للنهر وسلسلة من الضواحي والمناطق الصناعية على الضفة اليمنى. ومع ذلك ، في المدينة نفسها ، يمر النهر عبر منحنى & lsquoS & rsquo ، وبالتالي فإن البلدة القديمة تقع شمال النهر ، وبعض الضواحي جنوب النهر. يُشار أحيانًا إلى الضفة اليسرى بالضفة الغربية أو الجهة الشمالية الخلفية ، بينما يُشار إلى الضفة اليمنى بالضفة الشرقية أو الجنوبية. يتدفق النهر الثاني ، Odon ، بشكل عام إلى الشمال الشرقي ، ويتدفق إلى Orne إلى الجنوب من Caen.

D- يوم وعملية الفرخ

في D-Day نفسه ، هبط البريطانيون والكنديون بنجاح على شواطئهم ، لكن فرقة Panzer 21 شنت هجومًا مضادًا في الفجوة بين شواطئ Juno و Sword ، وهذا جنبًا إلى جنب مع تقدم أبطأ مما كان متوقعًا في الداخل يعني أن كاين بقيت في أيدي ألمانيا في في نهاية اليوم.

في مساء يوم الإنزال ، وصلت قوة من الدبابات من ستافوردشاير يومانري ، بدعم من مشاة كينج ورسكووس شروبشاير الخفيفة الثانية ، إلى ليبيسي وود ، على بعد ثلاثة أميال فقط إلى الشمال من المدينة. ومع ذلك ، فقد احتجزت الغابة من قبل مجموعة قتالية من فرقة بانزر 21 ، ولم يتمكن البريطانيون من إحراز أي تقدم آخر.

خلال اليومين التاليين ، كان لدى الألمان فرصة قصيرة لدفع الحلفاء إلى الخلف ، حيث قاموا بنقل ثلاث فرق من الدبابات إلى كاين. لكن مخاوف روميل ورسكووس بشأن القوة الجوية للحلفاء أثبتت صحتها. كان على بانزر لير الانتقال من لومان ، وعلى الرغم من بقاء معظم دباباته على قيد الحياة ، فقد فقدت العديد من مركبات الدعم الأساسية وكان القسم غير مناسب للمشاركة في هجوم عندما وصلت إلى كاين. عانت فرقة الدبابات الـ 12 من نقص الوقود ، ثم اشتبك بها الكنديون في مطار كاربيكت. تم تقسيم 21st Panzer إلى نصفين بواسطة Orne ، وبالتالي لم يكن قادرًا على تنفيذ هجوم مضاد منسق. بحلول 9 يونيو ، قرر روميل أن فرصة دفع الحلفاء إلى البحر قد اختفت ، وأمر رجاله بالذهاب إلى موقع الدفاع أثناء استعدادهم لهجوم مضاد واسع النطاق.

بمجرد أن كان من الواضح أن Caen wouldn & rsquot يقع في D-Day ، كان لابد من تغيير خطط الحلفاء. تحولت عملية بيرش ، التي كانت في الأصل خطة للتقدم إلى الجنوب الشرقي من كاين لإقناع الألمان بأن الزخم الرئيسي للحلفاء سيأتي في تلك المنطقة ، إلى هجوم من شقين على المدينة. بدأ هذا في 10 يونيو ، لكنه لم يحرز تقدمًا يذكر. تطور القتال العنيف حول Tilly-sur-Seulles ، والتي تغيرت عدة مرات خلال الأيام القليلة التالية. ثم أُبلغ البريطانيون أن فجوة قد تطورت إلى الغرب من كاين ، حيث ألحق الأمريكيون أضرارًا جسيمة بفرقة المشاة الألمانية. في محاولة للاستفادة من فجوة Caumont ، أمرت الفرقة المدرعة السابعة بالتقدم حول الطرف الغربي لجبهة Panzer Lehr في تيلي. بحلول صباح يوم 13 يونيو / حزيران ، وصلوا إلى فيلير بوكاج ، لكنهم تعرضوا لكمين من قبل الدبابة الشهيرة مايكل ويتمان ، التي دمرت ثلاث دبابات في وسط القرية ، وساعدت في نصب كمين لقوة أكبر في الشرق. نشبت معركة شرسة حول المدينة ، ولكن بحلول نهاية اليوم قرر البريطانيون الانسحاب. لقد ضاعت الفرصة الأخيرة لأخذ كاين دون معركة كبيرة ، على الرغم من أن الألمان في هذه المرحلة كانوا لا يزالون قادرين على تشكيل خطوط جديدة ، لذلك ربما تكون الفوائد المحتملة للتمسك بفيلرز بوكاج قد تم المبالغة فيها منذ ذلك الحين.

عملية إبسوم ، 26-27 يونيو 1944

قرر مونتغمري شن هجومه الكبير التالي على كاين غرب المدينة. كان الهدف من عملية إبسوم هو اختراق الخطوط الألمانية غرب المدينة ، وعبور نهر أودون ، الذي يتدفق شمالًا شرقًا إلى أورني في كاين ، ثم عبور أورني وتأمين الأرض المرتفعة جنوب غرب المدينة. كان من المقرر تنفيذ الهجوم من قبل الفيلق الثامن من الجيش البريطاني الثاني ديمبسي ورسكووس ، في حين أن فيلق XXX ينفذ هجومًا أوليًا للقبض على راوراي ريدج ، والتي تطل على ساحة المعركة من الغرب. كانت الخطة الأصلية قد دعت إلى دعم جوي من المملكة المتحدة ، ولكن كان لا بد من تقليص ذلك بسبب سوء الأحوال الجوية. أدى الطقس السيئ ، ولا سيما العاصفة الكبرى في 19-21 يونيو ، إلى إبطاء حشد الحلفاء ، لذلك كان لا بد من تأجيل إبسوم من منتصف يونيو إلى وقت لاحق في الشهر.

بدأ الهجوم الأولي ، عملية مارتليت ، في 25 يونيو. كان الهدف هو حمل أرض مرتفعة حول راوراي ، حيث يمكن لمراقبي المدفعية الألمان إطلاق النار على ساحة معركة إبسوم. نفذت العملية الفرقة 49 لكنها فشلت في تحقيق هدفها الرئيسي. حقق التقسيم تقدمًا جيدًا على يمينه ، لكنه توقف على الجانب الأيسر الأكثر أهمية. ونتيجة لذلك ، كانت الأرض المرتفعة حول راوراي لا تزال في أيدي الألمان عندما بدأت إبسوم في 26 يونيو. استمر مارتلت خلال الأيام القليلة التالية ، وسقط راوري أخيرًا في 27 يونيو واستمر الهجوم في اليوم التالي. لكن سرعان ما أصبح واضحًا أن الألمان كانوا يخططون لهجوم مضاد ، لذلك بدأت القوات في الاستعداد للدفاع عما استولوا عليه.

بدأت عملية إبسوم بقصف مدفعي استمر ثلاث ساعات ، مما تسبب في أضرار جسيمة للخط الأمامي ، لكنه أخطأ الخط الثاني. ثم بدأ اللواء 44 المرتفعات و 46 للأراضي المنخفضة في التقدم ، وسرعان ما تجاوز الخط الأول. الخط الثاني الألماني ، شمال أودون مباشرة ، صمد لفترة أطول ، لكن الاسكتلنديين كانوا قادرين على الاستيلاء على Cheux ، حيث كان هناك طريقان ينزلان إلى Odon. أنهى البريطانيون اليوم بخيبة أمل ، لكن الألمان أنهوا ذلك بقلق. دعا الجنرال ديتريش ، قائد فيلق I SS Panzer ، إلى تعزيزات لوقف أي اختراق. وافق روميل في النهاية على إرسال أربعة فرق بانزر إلى المنطقة ، بما في ذلك الفرقة التاسعة والعاشرة من وحدات بانزر إس إس من فرقة الدبابات الثانية التي وصلت حديثًا.

في 27 يونيو عبر البريطانيون أخيرًا أودون ، وبدأوا في التوغل جنوبًا إلى هيل 112 ، حيث يمكنهم مشاهدة كاين. في تلك الليلة بدأت التعزيزات الألمانية في الوصول ، وأصر الجنرال دولمان على ضرورة شن هجوم مضاد فوري في 28 يونيو. فشل هذا في تحقيق أي شيء ، وتوفي دولمان في وقت متأخر من اليوم ، إما بنوبة قلبية أو بالانتحار. على الجانب البريطاني ، تم الاستيلاء على الجسر فوق أودون في جافروس سليمًا ، ووصلت الدبابات من الفرقة المدرعة الحادية عشرة إلى قمة التل 112. ومع ذلك ، أوضحت الاستطلاعات الجوية ومصادر استخباراتية أخرى أن هجومًا مضادًا ألمانيًا كان مرجحًا. قرر الجنرال ديمبسي إلغاء أي محاولة للتقدم نحو نهر أورني ، لأن ذلك كان سيجعل الشاطئ البريطاني الضيق أطول وأكثر عرضة للخطر. تم سحب القوات البريطانية الأكثر تقدمًا ، وتم إنشاء موقع دفاعي قوي حول أودون.

هجوم Odon الألماني المضاد

في 1 يوليو ، شن الألمان هجومًا مضادًا كبيرًا على رأس جسر إبسوم. جاء الجزء الرئيسي من هذا الهجوم في الغرب ، حيث هاجم فيلق SS Panzer II الذي وصل حديثًا الجانب الأيمن من رأس الجسر الجديد. على اليسار هاجموا مع Kampfgruppe Weidinger من فرقة SS Panzer الثانية و lsquoDas Reich & rsquo. التالي في الخط كان 9th SS Panzer Division & lsquoHohenstaufen & rsquo ، مع فرقة SS Panzer العاشرة و lsquoFrundsburg & rsquo على يمين هذا الهجوم.

على الجانب البريطاني ، أصاب الهجوم الاسكتلندي الأول من Tyneside في راوراي ، قادمًا من قوة Martlet ، وقوات إبسوم في الجنوب. كانت أكبر ميزة لهم هي أن Ultra قد قدمت تحذيرًا من الهجوم القادم. من أجل تجنب قطع أي قوات ، تم سحب القوات الأكثر تقدمًا.

كان الألمان يخططون للهجوم في الساعة 3 صباحًا ، لكن البريطانيين أطلقوا قصفًا مدفعيًا وقائيًا. بدأ الألمان في التحرك في السادسة صباحًا مهاجمين من الغرب. على اليسار اقتربوا من راوراي ، لكن البريطانيين كانوا قادرين على تحريك قواتهم الداعمة إلى العمل ، وهُزمت سلسلة من الهجمات خلال اليوم. في المركز ، حاولت فرقة SS Panzer التاسعة الاستيلاء على La Valtru ، لكن دون جدوى. على اليمين ، استولت فرقة SS Panzer العاشرة لفترة وجيزة على Baron-sur-Odon ، لكنها لم تتمكن من التمسك بها ، بينما تم تفكيك هجوم من Hill 112 بواسطة المدفعية البريطانية. بحلول نهاية اليوم ، عاد البريطانيون إلى مواقعهم الأصلية.

على الرغم من أن Epsom hadn & rsquot حققت جميع أهدافها ، فقد استولى البريطانيون على رأس جسر فوق Odon ، والأهم من ذلك أنهم أجبروا الألمان على إلزام II SS Panzer Corp التي وصلت حديثًا للقتال في كاين ، بدلاً من أن تكون قادرة على استخدامها في هجوم مضاد تجاه بايو. وضع هذا نمطًا لبقية المعركة - كلما تمكن الألمان من إنشاء احتياطي مدرع ، سيهاجم البريطانيون والكنديون في كاين وسيضطرون إلى إلزام الدبابات في المعركة الدفاعية.

عملية شارنوود ، 8-9 يوليو

بعد وقفة أخرى ، قرر مونتغمري شن هجوم كبير على الجزء الشمالي من كاين. قبل أيام قليلة من الهجوم الرئيسي ، حاول الكنديون الاستيلاء على مطار كاربيكيت ، إلى الغرب من المدينة (عملية وندسور ، 4-5 يوليو 1944). كانوا قادرين على أخذ القرية نفسها ، فقط إلى الشمال الشرقي من المطار ، والجزء الشمالي من المطار ، لكن الألمان تمسكوا بالطرف الجنوبي.

سيتم تنفيذ عملية شارنوود نفسها من قبل ثلاثة أقسام من الجنرال كروكر ورسكووس الأول فيلق وندش الكندي الثالث على اليمين ، والشعبة 59 (ستافوردشاير) في الوسط والشعبة الثالثة على اليسار. سوف يسبق ذلك غارة قصف ضخمة نفذتها 467 قاذفة قنابل لانكستر وهاليفاكس الثقيلة ، والتي كان من المتوقع أن تحقق أشياء عظيمة (خاصة من قبل هاريس). لكن التأثير الفوري للغارة كان مخيبا للآمال. أصر الطيارون على تنفيذها في وقت متأخر من يوم 7 يوليو بدلاً من صباح 8 يوليو كما هو مخطط ، لأن توقعات الطقس كانت مناسبة لهم بشكل أفضل في 7 يوليو. ونتيجة لذلك ، تمكن الألمان من التعافي من الصدمة قبل وقوع الهجوم. ثانيًا ، أصر هاريس على خط تفجير بمسافة 6000 ياردة قبل المواقع البريطانية والكندية ، وركز على كاين بدلاً من القرى النائية ، لذلك فشلت الغارة في إصابة العديد من الدفاعات الألمانية ، في القرى الواقعة خارج كاين.

تم شن الهجوم من قبل الفرقتين 3 و 59. أحرزت الفرقة الثالثة أسرع تقدم ، وسرعان ما بدأت في التغلب على ال 16 وفتوافا قسم الميدان ، الذي كان قد تولى لتوه في الجزء الشمالي من كاين. إلى الغرب ، بقيت الفرقة 12 SS Panzer طوال اليوم ، لكن الموقف الألماني كان ينهار على يمينه. انسحب الألمان بين عشية وضحاها من كاين شمال نهر أورني ، وهربوا عبر النهر. في هذه المرحلة ، أوقف قصف الحلفاء قواتهم ، وتمكن الألمان من تشكيل خط جديد على طول النهر.

أعقب تشارنوود عملية جوبيتر (10-11 يوليو 1944) ، وهي محاولة لاستعادة هيل 112 على جبهة أودون. تمكن البريطانيون من الحصول على موطئ قدم على التل ، لكنهم لم يتمكنوا من إزالته تمامًا. انتهى الهجوم بعد يوم ، مع توسيع رأس الجسر البريطاني قليلاً.

عملية Goodwood و Operation Atlantic ، 18 يوليو-

على الرغم من سقوط الجزء الشمالي من كاين ، إلا أن الألمان ما زالوا يحتفظون بالجنوب والشرق الصناعي ، بما في ذلك أبراج مصانع كولومبيل ، وهو موقع مراقبة ممتاز. كما يبدو أنهم كانوا على وشك تحريك القوات غربًا باتجاه سانت لو والقطاع الأمريكي الرئيسي. قرر مونتجومري شن هجوم كبير آخر على كاين ، هذه المرة في المنطقة الواقعة شرق المدينة.

كان الهدف الرئيسي لعملية Goodwood هو سلسلة من التلال المنخفضة المسطحة إلى الجنوب من كاين. كان هذا معروفًا باسم سلسلة جبال بورجبوس عند البريطانيين وجبال فيريريز للكنديين ، بعد قرى تقع في الأجزاء الشرقية والغربية من المنحدرات الشمالية للتلال. هذه التلال بالكاد يمكن ملاحظتها في صور المنطقة ، لكنها كانت عالية بما يكفي لحجب المناظر ، لإخفاء الدبابات والمدفعية أو لمنح كل من يتحكم في الأرض المرتفعة رؤية قيادية للمنطقة المسطحة بشكل عام. أثناء تنفيذ الدروع للهجوم الرئيسي في الجنوب ، كان المشاة البريطانيون يقومون بتطهير المناطق إلى الشرق من كاين ، بينما كان الكنديون يطردون الألمان من الضواحي الجنوبية للمدينة ، على الضفة اليمنى لنهر أورني (عملية أتلانتيك) ). أصبحت Goodwood واحدة من أكثر المعارك إثارة للجدل في حملة نورماندي ، ويرجع ذلك أساسًا إلى اختلاف التوقعات فيما يتعلق بأهدافها. بالنسبة لمونتجومري ، كان الهدف الرئيسي للمعركة هو تثبيت الدروع الألمانية حول كاين ومنع الألمان من تحريك التعزيزات غربًا لمعارضة الاختراق القادم (عملية كوبرا). ومع ذلك ، من أجل الحصول على الدعم الكامل لخططه ، وعلى وجه الخصوص لإقناع سلاح الجو الملكي البريطاني بتنفيذ القصف الهائل الذي أراده ، يبدو أن مونتغمري قد بالغ في تغييرات الاختراق نحو فاليز. من المؤكد أن أيزنهاور كان يتوقع شيئًا مشابهًا ، كما فعلت القيادة العليا لسلاح الجو الملكي البريطاني.

في محاولة لتشتيت انتباه الألمان ، تم شن هجومين غرب كاين. بدأت عملية الخط الأخضر في 15 يوليو وشهدت هجوم الفيلق الثاني عشر على Evrecy ، الذي تم الاستيلاء عليه خلال المعركة ، وبدأت عملية بوميجرانت في 16 يوليو ونفذتها فيلق XXX. ساعد الهجومان في إقناع الألمان بنقل فرقة بانزر إس إس التاسعة هوهنشتاوفن إلى الضفة الغربية لنهر أورني.

كانت عملية Goodwood هجومًا طموحًا. كانت المشكلة الأكبر هي أن البريطانيين كانوا يحتفظون فقط برأس جسر صغير شرق أورني وشمال كاين ، إلى حد كبير المنطقة التي تم الاستيلاء عليها في يوم النصر. This wasn&rsquot large enough to take all three armoured divisions, so the leading troops would have to begin the attack while the second and third divisions were still crossing the Orne. As a result only part of the massive armoured force would actually get into action. 11th Armoured Division, which led the attack, would be fully engaged. The Guards Armoured Division would also be able to commit significant forces to the fighting. The 7th Armoured Division would hardly be involved at all. On the eastern flank the 3rd Infantry Division and 152nd (Highland) Brigade were to protect the left flank of the armoured assault.

The attackers also faced very strong defences, with five interconnected defensive lines running back for ten miles from the front. However they lost Rommel, who was badly injured in an air attack on 17 July and never returned to the front. The German line east of Caen was held by the LXXXVI Corps, with the remains of the 16th Luftwaffe Division and the 356th Infantry Division in the front line and the 21st Panzer Division in reserve. The I SS Panzer Corps was further to the south, and both of its panzer divisions had been withdrawn from the front line &ndash the 12th SS Panzer Division to regroup and recover and the 1st SS Panzer Division as the local reserve. The Germans also had a fairly significant number of guns on the Bourgeubus ridge.

The battle began with another massive air attack, this time with 2,600 British and American bombers, dropping 7,500 tons of bombs onto carefully selected targets around the attack area. The artillery opened fire at 0640, and the advance began at 0745. At first the British tanks made very good progress, and they were soon approaching Bourguebus ridge. However they then ran into intact German defences, and had got too far ahead of their supporting infantry. The Guards Armoured Division joined the fighting, but instead of the much anticipated tank breakthrough, the battle turned into a series of small scale fights for individual villages. On the German side the ease with which the British had advanced as far as they did caused a great deal of concern. The 1st SS Panzer Division was ordered to launch a counterattack, but this wasn&rsquot actually noticed by the British at the time! On the left flank the British infantry also made decent progress, capturing a series of villages and pushing the Germans away from the eastern edge of Caen. 19 July saw a German counterattack that was repulsed along most of the line, while the British cleared up those villages that hadn&rsquot fallen on the previous day.

On the Allied right the Canadians carried out Operation Atlantic, with the aim of protecting the right flank of Goodwood and clearing the Germans out of the last bits of Caen. It was carried out by General Guy Simonds&rsquo newly activated Canadian 2nd Corps. The Canadian 3rd Division was to attack from the Orne bridgehead in the north and from the city centre, while the Canadian 2nd Division attacked from the west of Caen. Atlantic also began on 18 July. On their left the 3rd Division captured Colombelles village and steelworks, the chateau de Colombelles and Giberville, although in some cases only after day long battles. The 9th Brigade, coming from the north, advanced down the right bank of the river and attacked the suburb of Vaucelles, south of the city centre. The German defenders withdrew to avoid being cut off. In the west the 2nd Division attack began in the evening. On their right the division was held up at Louvigny, but in the centre and left they were able to bridge the Orne and cross into Vaucelles.

On 19 July the Canadians successfully cleared the remaining Germans out of southern Caen. However this ended the successful part of the operation. On 20 July they pushed south onto the Bourgeubus Ridge, and ran into intact German defences. Poor weather limited the amount of air support available, and the Germans were even able to launch successful counterattacks. The same was repeated on 21 July and 22 July, before the operation ended. Atlantic had achieved its main aim of clearing Caen, but the ridges south of the city remained in German hands. Once again this was only achieved by moving armour east of the Orne, making it unavailable to deal with Operation Cobra.

Although Goodwood is now mainly remembered as a failed breakthrough, it actually achieved Montgomery&rsquos main aim of pinning the German armour down around Caen. It also greatly worried the Germans &ndash General Eberbach considered it to have been a great defeat, and coming very close to achieving a breakthrough, while for von Kluge it indicated that the battle of Normandy was lost. On 21 July he reported to Hitler that the German line &lsquoalready so heavily strained, will break.

After Goodwood

Although Goodwood and Atlantic left Caen securely in Allied hands, the official dates for the battle of Caen take it up to 8 August, and the start of Operation Totalize, the first major Canadian attack towards Falaise. Fighting did continue around Caen, although it was soon overshadowed by Operation Cobra, the start of the American breakthrough, which began on 25 July. The general aim around Caen was to push the Germans further away from the city. On 22 July 1944 British troops attacked to the south of Caen (Operation Express), and captured the village of Maltot, just west of the Orne and less than five miles from the city centre.

The biggest of these attacks was Operation Spring (25-26 July 1944), a Canadian attack on the Verrieres ridge. The attack was to be carried out by the newly activated Canadian 2nd Corps, under General Simonds. The corps contained the 2nd and 3rd Canadian Infantry Divisions, of which the 3rd had suffered heavy casualties on D-Day and the 2nd was new to battle, the Canadian 2nd Armoured Brigade and 2nd Army Group Royal Artillery.

Planning for this attack began on 21 July, in response to a delay in the start of Operation Cobra from 20 July. The aim was to push the Germans off the slightly higher ground south of the city, and pin them down in the east. However this area was strongly defended, and the Germans had access to a series of mine tunnels that linked several of the villages. When the Canadians attacked, the Germans were thus able to pop up in areas that were meant to have been cleared, preventing the attack from gaining any momentum. The Canadian attacks on 25 July were defeated at heavy cost, making it the second most costly day for Canada during the entire war, second only to Dieppe. The attack only took one of its objectives, and had to be called off early on 26 July when the bad news reached General Simonds. However the attack did achieve its main aim, pinning the Germans down south of Caen. It also attracted the attention of Field Marshal Kluge, who spent 25 July on the Caen front, just as the western end of the German front was crumbling. Kluge didn&rsquot leave the Caen area until the afternoon of 27 July, by which time the breakthrough had begun.

The main focus on the British front then moved west, to Operation Bluecoat, which began on 28 July. This saw two British corps attack from the Caumont area, half way between Caen and Saint Lo, with the aim of supporting the American advance.

Over the next few days the Americans broke right through the German lines and began to fan out into Brittany to the west and towards Le Mans in the east. It soon became clear that there was now a chance to trap a large part of the German army in Normandy, if the Canadians could push south from Caen and the Americans push north from around Le Mans and Alencon. The new target would be Falaise. The official end date of the battle of Caen is thus the same day as the start of the first Canadian attempt to break through to Falaise, Operation Totalize (8-11 August 1944).

The battle of Caen was key to the overall Allied victory in Normandy, but it wasn&rsquot as glamorous and its successes less obvious than Operation Cobra. Repeated British and Canadian attacks made slow but steady progress, rarely reaching their more optimistic targets. Montgomery often failed to fully explain his overall plan, and on occasion even Eisenhower began to worry. However on the German side each of the famous offensives caused a great deal of alarm. Every time they managed to release their panzer divisions from the front, there would be another attack, and they would have to be committed to desperate defensive battles. The same happened to fresh divisions as they reached Normandy. Perhaps the most important example of this was the decision to commit the two freshly committed Panzer divisions of the II SS Panzer Corps to the fight against Operation Epsom, a move that forced Rommel to abandon his own plans for an attack towards Bayeux. Goodwood was seen as a disaster on the German side, and a sign that the front was about to crack. Even Operation Spring, a costly failure for the Canadians, distracted Field Marshal Kluge at the moment when he was needed on the American front. The long bitter battle for Caen may have been controversial, but it drew in most of the German panzers, and helped pave the way for the spectacular American breakthrough then breakout at the other end of the line.

Stout Hearts: The British and Canadians in Normandy 1944, Ben Kite. Looks in detail at the role of each element in the British and Canadian military machine during the Normandy Campaign, including each aspect of the ground forces from the infantry to the armour, intelligence, reconnaissance and medical services, as well as the air support and the fire power provided by the massive Allied fleets off the Normandy coast. A very useful companion to narrative accounts of the campaign, helping to explain how the British and Canadians managed to overcome the determined German resistance on their front [read full review]

Mémorial de Caen: No trip to the D-Day Landing Beaches is complete without a visit to the Mémorial de Caen just be sure to designate a full afternoon to it. This vast museum focuses both on the history and repercussions of war in the 20th century, as well as post-war peace keeping. Inaugurated in 1988, the museum stands on the very soil where some of the fighting for Caen took place in 1944, and perhaps understandably its D-Day exhibit is particularly fascinating, using a large split screen to depict the D-Day Landings simultaneously from Allied and German viewpoints.

Vaugueux neighbourhood: With its Caen-stone houses dating back to the Middle Ages, this neighbourhood is probably one of the most popular, best-known parts of Caen. It is also a trendy nightspot whose many restaurants and bars come to life in the evenings along the main street (rue du Vaugueux) and old town square. Edith Piaf herself used to come here to see her grandparents, who ran a café in the neighbourhood!

Hôtel d’Escoville: One of Caen’s finest buildings, which now houses the local tourist office

The marina: Just around the corner from one of the liveliest, best-restored corners of the old city centre, this scenic marina full of yachts and surrounded by smart modern apartment blocks may come as a pleasant surprise to anyone unfamiliar with Caen, and is a great place for a stroll.

Jardin des Plantes: Caen prides itself on being a green city and this botanical garden is one of the many reasons why. Thanks to Gallard de la Ducquerie, a professor at Caen’s Faculty of Medicine, who acquired the land in 1689 and filled it with rare plants, the garden is now home to over 2,000 different species.

Women’s Abbey: This abbey was built for Queen Matilda on a similarly grand scale to the Men’s Abbey between 1060 and 1080. The 11th-century Church of the Holy Trinity is a fine example of Norman architecture and houses the tomb of Queen Matilda, wife of William the Conqueror. The superb crypt, with its barrel vaults supported by 16 close-ranked columns, is remarkable, as are the 18th-century convent and French-style garden.

Men’s Abbey: William the Conqueror, to regain the favour of the Pope, who disapproved of his marriage to his distant cousin, Matilda Princess of Flanders, ordered the construction of the Men’s Abbey in 1066. Construction began in the Norman style but the abbey was completed in gothic style in the 13th century, and houses William’s tomb. The abbey is an architectural masterpiece, its elegant lines mixing the simplicity of Norman architecture with gothic intricacy. The large monastic buildings later attached to the abbey now house Caen Town Hall.

Caen Castle: One of the largest walled fortifications in Europe, this castle was built for William the Conqueror, who made Caen into a great centre of power in Normandy. Damaged during the bombings of 1944, the castle has since been restored and its extensive walls and towers make for an impressive sight. Within the ramparts, explore the castle’s two museums, the Musée des Beaux-Arts (Fine Arts Museum) and the Musée de Normandie (which explores the region’s history and ethnography). Also worth a visit at Caen Castle are the Salle de l’Échiquier (Treasury Chamber) and Church of Saint-Georges.


How to get to Caen

Caen is conveniently situated two hours from Paris by train and a mere 15 minutes from the cross-Channel port of Ouistreham, which operates regular sailings to Portsmouth in the UK. The city also has its own airport in the neighbouring town of Carpiquet. Caen is within driving distance of popular Normandy attractions including Bayeux and its famous tapestry, the D-Day Landing Beaches, and the picturesque Pays d’Auge, home of cider and cheese. Beaches and towns where you can enjoy traditional seaside fun are also just on the doorstep. Caen even boasts its own yachting marina, the Bassin Saint-Pierre, right in the heart of town.


Wiltshire Community History


The town of Devizes developed around the Norman castle which was probably built c.1080 by Osmund, Bishop of Salisbury. There is little evidence of prehistoric settlement on the site, but some Roman remains have been found in the Southbroom area of the town.

The castle was built on a promontory on the western edge of the Marlborough Downs with the valley of the Avon to the west and the Pewsey Vale to the east, 9 miles from Calne, 14 miles from Marlborough and 12 miles from Trowbridge. Because Osmund built his castle on the boundaries of the King's manor of Rowde and his own manors of Cannings and Potterne it became known as ' castrum ad divisas', the castle at the boundaries.

The original castle was probably a motte, or tower, of wood with an outer bailey protected by a ditch, stockade and drawbridge. This structure burnt down in 1113 and was rebuilt in stone by Richard of Caen, Osmund's successor as Bishop of Salisbury. The castle was described by a contemporary, Henry of Huntingdon, as 'the finest and most splendid in Europe', but little now remains of it apart from fragments of the foundations.

On several occasions important prisoners were held in Devizes castle, an indication of how impregnable it was considered to be. In 1106 Robert of Normandy, the eldest son of William the Conqueror, was imprisoned here when his younger brother Henry seized the throne during Robert's absence at the First Crusade. He was to remain a prisoner at Devizes for the next twenty years before being moved to Cardiff where he died in 1134.

The years 1139 to 1141 were full of incident for the inhabitants of the castle and the town that was developing outside its walls. The heir to the throne, following the death of the King Henry I's only son, was his daughter Matilda, who was also known as the Empress Maud as she was the widow of the Holy Roman Emperor. Henry I died in 1135 having extracted an oath from the barons and bishops, including Roger, that they would accept her as queen, but his nephew, Stephen of Blois, invaded England to claim the throne and was supported by many of the barons and bishops.

At this time Roger was one of the most powerful and influential men in England. During Henry's reign he had been appointed Justiciar of England, as well as being Bishop of Salisbury, and had deputised for the King when Henry was abroad. In addition Roger had appointed his natural son, also called Roger, to the post of Chancellor and two of his nephews to bishoprics.

Roger declared his support for Stephen but he must have been considered a dangerous ally as, in 1139, during an assembly at Oxford, Stephen used a disagreement between his French followers and Roger's retainers as an excuse to arrest Roger, his son and nephews. Matilda (also called Maud) of Ramsbury, who was Roger's mistress and the mother of his son, was at this time holding Devizes castle but when Stephen arrived and threatened to hang her son she surrendered the castle to him. Bishop Roger was freed but forced to surrender all his possessions to Stephen and he died later in the year, a broken man.

Meanwhile Matilda and her followers were advancing through the West Country and so Stephen now moved on to try to stop her, besieging the castle at Trowbridge on the way, and leaving a party of soldiers to hold the castle at Devizes.

Robert Fitzhugh, a Flemish adventurer stated that if he held Devizes Castle he could control all the lands between London and the west, and in Stephen's absence he captured the castle, using leather ladders to avoid waking the garrison. He proceeded to lay waste the surrounding country and when Matilda's brother Robert, Earl of Gloucester, sent a force to take over the castle for Matilda he refused to hand it over. Eventually he was captured and when his men refused to surrender the castle in return for their leader's life Fitzhugh and two of his nephews were hanged in front of them. Stephen subsequently regained control by paying the remaining mercenaries to leave. Count Hervey of Brittany, Stephen's son-in-law, took over the castle, but the local townspeople had become so disenchanted by the activities of Fitzhugh that in 1141 they besieged the castle and eventually forced Hervey to surrender to Matilda's forces. By this stage Stephen had been captured at Lincoln and Matilda had been proclaimed Queen although she was never crowned. In gratitude to the people of Devizes she granted them freedom from certain tolls, which in effect gave them the right to hold a regular market.

For the remaining seven years of the civil war Devizes stayed in Matilda's hands, although Stephen's troops sometimes ravaged the surrounding areas, and she was often in the town.

Matilda retired to Normandy in 1148 and died in 1167. Her son Henry took up the cause and used Devizes as a base for campaigns in the West Country. He successfully repelled an attack on the castle by Stephen's son Eustace. Eventually he forced Stephen to recognise him as his heir.

The Crown retained possession of the castle until the seventeenth century, and together with the land around Devizes and Rowde, the Old and New Parks and the right of appointment to the forests of Chippenham and Melksham it made a very important royal gift.

The castle was again used as a prison when King John's second wife, Isabella, was sent there in 1206. She gave birth to a son there in 1209, and in 1216 John sent the Royal regalia and crown jewels to the castle for safe keeping. John died later that year and was succeeded by his nine-year-old son, Henry III, who was living in the castle at the time in the care of the governor.

During the 12th and 13th centuries the town of Devizes developed outside the castle with craftsmen and traders setting up businesses to provide the residents of the castle with goods and services. Following the granting by Matilda of the charter allowing a market, the town grew rapidly. The layout of the streets followed the line of the castle's defence ditches, of which there were four, and the regularity of the burgage plots in New Park Street and the Market Place suggests that it was deliberately planned, rather than developing piece meal. The medieval market place was in the large space outside St Mary's Church, rather than in the modern Market Place, which at that time would have been within the castle's outer bailey. A market cross stood near to the White Bear Inn in Monday Market Street.

The town had achieved such importance by 1295 that it was summoned to send two representatives to Edward I's Model Parliament, and continued to be represented in most other parliaments of the period, although there seems to have been an economic decline from 1332 to1336 when the town's importance was reduced and it was not represented.

The first mention of a market in Devizes is for 1228 although there were probably earlier ones established without royal permission. In 1567 a second market was granted, to be held in St. Mary's parish on Mondays, but it seems to have ceased by 1814. A Thursday market, which had been established by 1609, is still held weekly in the Market Place.

The chief products in the sixteenth and early seventeenth centuries were corn, wool and yarn, with cheese, bacon and butter increasing in importance later. Fish was brought up from Poole, and John Aubrey considered Devizes to be the best fish market in the county. By the early nineteenth century there was a twice weekly market for butchers meat and in 1842 the market for corn and malt was described as one of the most important in England.

Over the centuries various commodity markets lapsed and were revived again. The cheese market had finally ceased by 1903 when the market was said to be for corn, poultry, butter and vegetable. In 1939 corn, cattle, pigs and poultry were sold, though by then cattle and corn were of minor importance.

The actual sites of the different markets have changed over the years. The first markets were held in front of St Mary's Church, but with the physical deterioration of the castle defences the townspeople gradually took over the open area of the castle bailey where the present Market Place is situated. Other areas which have been used include Short Street, Wine Street, St. John's Street and High Street.


A number of market halls were built at different periods to house the corn market, cheese market, wool market and butchers shambles. The Corn Exchange was built in 1857 and has a statue of Ceres, the Roman goddess of the harvest, surmounting it. The Shambles, in the corner of the Market Place, was built in 1838, and now houses market stalls on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays.

The present market cross was the gift of Lord Sidmouth and one side of it tells the story of Ruth Pierce, a market woman from Potterne, who dropped dead in the Market Place in 1753 after lying about payment for a purchase of wheat.

The earliest fair in Devizes was granted in 1208 for the benefit of the local lepers. It was to be held yearly on the eve and feast of St. Denis (8th and 9th October), but by 1223 the Bishop of Salisbury seems to have displaced the lepers and was disputing the rights of the fair with the constable of the castle. Other fairs are recorded between this time and the sixteenth century when, in 1567 the corporation was granted two fairs of its own. In 1685 the Crown granted another new fair, known locally as the 'wholesale fair', to be held in St. John's parish on 10th April.

By 1759 there were seven fairs, held on Candlemas (13th February), Maundy Thursday, Trinity Thursday, 15th July, 9th September, 2nd and 20th October. Some fairs specialised in particular merchandise: the Trinity fair, for example was predominantly for horses, while the one in July was for wool.

As with the markets the fairs prospered and declined over the years with the occasional revival but the remaining two, held in July and February, ceased in 1939 and 1942 respectively.

The direct involvement of Devizes in the war between King Charles I and Parliament was due partly to its position between the King's headquarters in Oxford and the south west of England where he had strong support. This made the town of strategic importance to both sides. At the outbreak of the war the town's two MPs, Edward Bayntun and Robert Nicholas, were supporters of Parliament but there was strong Royalist sympathy within the town led by the mayor, Richard Pierce.

When the war broke out in 1642 some of the castle's fortifications were repaired and locks, chains and barricades were set up across the road entering the town from London.

In 1643 the Royalist Sir Ralph Hopton and his army fought a series of engagements with the Parliamentary forces under Sir William Waller, culminating in an indecisive battle at Lansdowne near Bath. Hopton was injured in an explosion and the Royalists made for Devizes where they could hold off Waller's forces while Hopton recovered. Waller camped near the village of Roundway and besieged the town. Hopton's men were very short of ammunition and, following the failure of a relief party to reach Devizes, it was decided to send a small party of cavalry to Oxford to fetch guns, powder and bullets. In the meanwhile Hopton ordered his men to collect all the bed cords in the town and to boil them in resin to make match. Lead was stripped from the church roofs to melt down to make bullets.

Waller began to bombard the town with cannon balls and canister shot and at one stage his cavalry reached the outer streets of the town but failed to get through the heavy barricades. As he was expecting reinforcements to arrive Hopton refused to surrender and employed delaying tactics to play for time. Waller, confident that Royalist reinforcements would be intercepted before they reached him, agreed to a six hour parley. This turned out to be a fatal mistake as the Royalists were not stopped and Waller had to hastily redeploy his men to face the relief force.

At 4.00 p.m. the Royalists under Lord Wilmot reached Roundway Down. They had fired a gun at Roughridge Hill to alert Hopton to their arrival but his officers, fearing a trick, persuaded him not to leave the town. This left the relief force outnumbered three to one.

The battle was fought on the Downs between Roughridge Hill, King's Play Hill, Roundway Hill and Morgan's Hill. Initial attacks by the Parliamentarians were repulsed and the Royalist Cavalry, despite attacking uphill, put the opposing cavalry to flight and pursued them for three miles across the Downs to a steep hillside. Many of the Parliamentary men and their horses were killed in what became known as the 'Bloody Ditch'. Hopton, realising that a battle was taking place, emerged from the town and his infantry helped turn the Parliamentarian retreat into a rout. Waller escaped to Bristol but his army was almost totally destroyed.

For the next two years Devizes remained under Royalist control, during which time the King arranged for more work to be done on improving the castle's fortifications. The moat was cleared and the drawbridge repaired.

The castle was manned by four hundred Welshmen under Sir Charles Lloyd when Oliver Cromwell reached Devizes in September 1645 and demanded their surrender. Following their refusal Cromwell set up 10 guns in the Market Place and bombarded the castle. One shell landed in the roofless keep where the powder was stored and although it failed to explode Lloyd surrendered. He and his officers were allowed to join the king at Oxford. Parliament ordered that the castle should be destroyed and this was carried out in 1648.

There is little evidence of any established industry before the fourteenth century but from this period the leather, metal and textile trades seem to have predominated. In the sixteenth century Devizes became known for its white woollen broadcloth but in the following century the trade in white cloth apparently declined and was replaced by serge manufacture and later the production of drugget, which was being exported to Russia up to about 1753. Felt was also made.

In about 1785 John Anstie built a factory for the production of cassimere, a closely woven fancy fabric, and in 1788 he was said to have three hundred looms in use. Much of this cloth was sold abroad but the French wars severely limited trade, with the result that he went bankrupt in 1793.

From this period there was a decline in the textile trades in Devizes but other trades continued to establish themselves. These included clock making, a bell foundry, booksellers, milliners, grocers and silversmiths.

Two trades of particular importance came to prominence in the eighteenth century: these were brewing and tobacco. Brewing and malting had been carried out on a small scale for centuries, but in the mid eighteenth century the firm of Rose and Tylee was established and the site of their brewery, in Northgate Street, is now part of the brewers Wadworth and Co. who were founded in 1875.

From the early part of the eighteenth century tobacco was cured and snuff ground in Devizes. The earliest records are of Richard Anstie who had a shop on the corner of Snuff Street and the Market Place. For some years William Leach used two windmills, originally built to grind oilseed rape, which stood on the old castle motte, to grind snuff. The Anstie family continued its interest in tobacco with a factory in John Anstie's former cloth factory. In 1944 the Imperial Tobacco Company bought the business. The production of snuff ceased in 1957 and the curing of tobacco in 1961.

The construction of the Kennet and Avon Canal at the end of the 18th century revealed a large area of Gault and lower greensand clays which were ideal for brickmaking. The Devizes Brick and Tile Company was founded at Caen Hill and continued production until its closure in 1961.

New industries developed in the nineteenth century and continued into the twentieth. These included agricultural engineering (Brown and May, and T.H.White Ltd.), building contractors (W.E.Chivers and Sons Ltd., and Rendells), dairy produce (North Wilts Dairy Co. Ltd.), bacon production (Central Wiltshire Bacon Co.) and electrical manufacturing (Cross Manufacturing Co. and the Hinchley Engineering Co.). During World War II a flax industry was established to make parachute harnesses and tents.

The Kennet and Avon Canal was constructed between 1794 and 1810. It linked Devizes to Bristol and London, and to the Wilts and Berks Canal at Semington and the Somerset Coal Canal. Because of opposition from a local landowner the route for the canal caused major technical problems: within a distance of 2 1/2 miles it had to rise 237 feet from the valley of the Avon to the Pewsey Vale. This was accomplished by means of 29 locks, 17 of them in one flight at Caen Hill.

The main cargo on the canal was coal from Somerset, and the Wharf became a depot for its distribution. Other cargoes included Devizes beer for London, West Indian tobacco from Bristol for Anstie's factory, and building materials.

The success of the canal was short lived. The railway arrived in Devizes in 1857 but GWR had purchased the canal in 1852 and its use gradually declined and it fell into disuse.

In 1951 the fight to save the canal began in earnest with the formation of the Kennet and Avon Canal Association, and in 1990 the Queen celebrated the reopening of the full length of the canal by travelling through one of the locks at Caen Hill.

Proposals for a railway service for Devizes were made as early as 1836 but they come to nothing. Five years later the steep incline at Caen Hill caused Brunel to adopt the Swindon to Chippenham main line route from London to Bristol rather than taking the line through Devizes and Bradford-on-Avon. Opposition from local landowners also delayed things but in 1856 the Somerset and Weymouth Railway agreed to extend a single line track from Holt Junction to Devizes and the service opened in 1857. In 1862 the Great Western Railway opened an extension of the Berkshire and Hampshire line from Hungerford which linked Devizes to London, but the building of the Westbury line through Lavington again bypassed Devizes. The railway closed in 1966.

Churches: Information on both current and disused churches and chapels.

Schools: Information on both current and closed schools.

Photographs: If images have been added for this community they are available here.: We hold a collection of over 50,000 photographs of places in Wiltshire in the County Local Studies Library. These may be viewed at this library and copies of out of copyright material may be purchased. We can search for a picture of a building or event if you e-mail us with details.

Historical Sources: A select list of books and articles is listed in 'Printed material'. You may go directly to the actual text from some of these.

Printed Material: This is a select book-list for the community but in the case of a town there may be hundreds more books, pamphlets and journal articles.

The full text of some items is available to view on this site.

The Victoria History of Wiltshire (opens in new window) is a partnership between local authorities and the Institute of Historical Research at London University. The History of Wiltshire is now the largest county history in the country and is still growing. The volumes are divided between general and topographical with Volumes One to Five covering subjects such as prehistory, ecclesiastical, economic and political history. The Volumes from Six onwards are topographical and will ultimately provide a comprehensive and systematic history of every single town and parish in the county.

(opens in new window) Explore Wiltshire's Past web site

Newspapers from 1738: These newspapers covered this community at different times. Newspaper titles in bold text are either the ones you should check first for information about this community.

Maps: listed are maps on which you can find this community. All maps are Ordnance Survey maps.

Archaeological Sites: A Sites and Monuments Record (opens new window) is maintained by the County Archaeology Service and covers some 20,000 sites. The Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society was formed in 1853 and have been publishing an annual journal since 1854. The journal contains both substantial articles and shorter notes on archaeological excavations, finds, museum objects, local history, genealogy and natural history.

History of Buildings: The collections of the Wiltshire Buildings Record are housed in the Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre at Chippenham.

Listed Buildings: The number of buildings, or groups of buildings, listed, as being of architectural or historical importance, is 323. There are five Grade I listings, Devizes Castle, No. 17 Market Place, Brownstone House and wall, the Church of St. Mary and the Church of St. John the Baptist, and 46 Grade II* listings.

Local Authors: There could be an author who was born or has lived in this community.

Literary Associations: Some communities have featured in novels or may have been the main setting for a book.

Registration Districts: If you want to obtain a copy of a birth, marriage or death certificate you can contact the local registrar.

Search the Wiltshire Studies Catalogue This will take you to our library catalogue where you will need to limit to 'Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre' for branch and re-enter your search term to find books on the subject. Please enter more than one word, e.g. 'Salisbury + market' unless you are looking for a small community.

If you have a local history enquiry, contact the County Local Studies Library


From February to December (except December 25th and January 1st) daily 10am-6pm
July and August daily 10am-7pm
Guided tours (free) Weekends and holidays English 11:30am French 3:30pm
July and August: Daily English 11:30am anmd 3:30pm French 10am and 2pm

Admission
Adult 7.50 euros children 6-16 years 3.50 euros
Family pass (2 adults and child between 6 and 16 years) 18 euros

Falaise Tourist Office
Boulevard de la Libération
14700 Falaise, Calvados, Normandy
Tél.: +33 (0)2 31 90 17 26
Falaise Tourism Website

Where to Eat in Falaise
La Fine Fourchette
52 rue Georges Clemenceau
14700 Falaise, Normandy
Tel.: 00 33 (0)2 31 90 08 59
A welcoming, friendly local restaurant, family run with father and son turning out very good dishes, particularly fish. Set menus from 16 euros and a good a la carte.


شاهد الفيديو: قلعة قايتباي. حامية الإسكندرية التي حلت محل إحدى عجائب الدنيا السبع